_________________________________________________________________

Monday, September 25, 2017

School board agenda for September 26

I had hoped to write a few more posts before my official departure from the board tomorrow night, but I’ve just been too short on time. I fully expect to go into semi-retirement from school politics once I’m off the board, but I imagine I’ll still blog from time to time. Stay tuned.

To the extent there are “sides” in local school politics, my side got decisively beaten in the election two weeks ago. The bond proposal passed and three of the four candidates I supported lost. (See news coverage here and here.) The bottom line is: That’s democracy. There’s no better way to measure what the community wants, and elections do have consequences. I still think the role of campaign money in this election is worth discussing, but that discussion can be for another time. I wish all the new board members well, and I hope the district makes the best of the trust the voters have placed in it with the bond vote.

The main event at tomorrow’s board meeting is the departure of the outgoing board members (Chris Lynch, Brian Kirschling, and me) and the swearing in of the new board members (J.P. Claussen, Ruthina Malone, Janet Godwin, and Shawn Eyestone).

The full agenda is here. Please chime in with a comment about anything that catches your attention.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

All ICCSD Parents want what is best for our children. To the extent that there were "sides", those "sides" only differed because they varied on the best funding strategy and some priorities. Hoping all Board Members understand that and respect/represent all district parents.

Mike said...

Chris, the bond passing may be a reflection of our community's wishes, but we still need to hold feet to fire. I've appreciated your voice, so I hope your political retirement doesn't last too long.

Anonymous said...

I respect your board service SO much! You served with integrity and it showed.

I understand your need to take a break after this experience. I know I need a break myself, and I didn't do anything other than watch a train wreck, helpless to repair the damage or rescue the victims.

Hugs to you and your family.

mariaconz said...

I also respect your service on the school board. I would really miss your voice if you were to remain silent. Our community really needs your voice in the bewildering array of ignorance, naiveté, and conformity.

Anonymous said...

Your service and integrity will be greatly missed.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the boards' leadership decision, namely president appointment, because I found that interesting for a number of reasons. Hope to read about it in a new post!

Anonymous said...

I will miss you on the board, but I am hopeful that we have some new members that will serve with integrity like you did following the leadership decisions.

Enjoy your semi-retirement, but I hope it will be a semi-brief one.